Front Door Program
The Front Door Grant Program was a pilot program offered in spring 2019 and awarded 87 grants to homeowners.
Applications are not being accepted at this time. Please check back again in early 2020.
This program is subject to funding availability.
The intent of the Front Door program is to provide assistance to Coon Rapids property owners who will make certain exterior improvements to the front (street side) of their home, increasing its curb appeal which benefits the entire community. There are no income limits to participate in this program. This is a new program in 2019 and only $100,000 will be immediately available. Funding will be awarded on a first come, first served basis upon signing of a Participation Agreement with the City.
Minimum grant: $1,000. Maximum grant: $5,000.
Grants will equal either 15% or 25% of the applicant's individual project amounts depending upon the scope of work. If the scope of work includes qualifying projects from both categories, then the grant amount will be determined individually in each category.
- 1 to 4 unit, owner-occupied, single family, townhome, twin home, condo.
- Homestead status with Anoka County Property Records.
- Current on Anoka County property taxes.
- Property value is not more than $400,000 based on Anoka County estimated property value.
- Project must include at least one item from the Beautification Project list.
- Funding from multiple City programs is possible, however, any project receiving a grant through the Front Door program cannot be considered for a grant through the Home for Generations II program.
- Work cannot begin until the required paperwork has been submitted to the City and a Participation Agreement with the City has been signed.
Basic Projects (15% grant)
- Chimney repair, tuck-pointing, repointing
- Deck (repair or replace)
- Porch (repair or replace)
- Retaining wall (repair or replace)
Beautification Projects (25% grant)
- Front door, storm door, and/or garage door
- Sidelight windows by front door
- Columns at front door
- Covered front porch
- Brick, stone, or shakes
- Alter roofline on front of house
- Landscaping (includes tree trimming, removal and replacement of overgrown and/or dead items, planting new trees, shrubs, plants and/or flowers)
- Driveway, sidewalk (repair or replace)
- Shutters (add or replace)
- Screening of utility boxes and/or garbage and recycling cans
- Fence (add, repair, or replace)
Landscape Architectural Consultation. If landscaping is part of the project, a 2-hour at home consultation is available. Consultations are subsidized by the City and the homeowner pays a $25 co-pay.
Financing. The City has low-interest loans available to help finance the balance of your project. Interest rates range between 1% - 4% with no income limits. For more information on financing options, contact the Lending Center at the Center for Energy and Environment at their website or 612-335-5884.