This program also requires a consultation with an architect or designer to discuss and help plan your remodeling ideas. This service is largely discounted through grants from the Coon Rapids Home Improvement Foundation.
Projects including two or more exterior upgrades are eligible for a grant of up to 10% of the project cost, not to exceed $5,000.
Eligible exterior upgrades include:
- Altering the roofline on the front of the house
- Constructing columns at the front door
- Building a covered front porch
- Enhancing the front of the house with brick, stone, or shakes
- Upgrading the front door and/or garage door if it faces the street
- Landscaping (landscape design assistance required)
- Other elements as approved
Projects that do not include eligible exterior upgrades are limited to a grant of up to 5% of the project cost, not to exceed $2,500.
View home improvement loan information.
Before beginning your Home for Generations project, consider scheduling a reduced cost visit with the Home Energy Squad to see if your home needs any energy efficiency upgrades that could be added to your project.
If you project includes installing an energy efficient furnace, air conditioner, or water heater, or air sealing or insulating your house, the City's Green Homes program has additional rebates that can help with the cost.