Make a difference in the community, meet new people and have fun by joining a City Commission!
Several Coon Rapids commissions need new members. The City Council appoints citizens to serve voluntarily to advise and participate in a variety of areas of interest. Commission members meet on a regular basis (typically monthly or bi-monthly) to address important issues in our community.
The City currently has open seats on the following advisory boards and commissions:
- Arts Commission - created by the Coon Rapids City Council in 1974 to foster the development of the arts, to advise the City Council on arts related matters and to stimulate participation in and appreciation of the arts by all area residents.
- Charter Commission - exists for the purpose of advising the City Council regarding the City Charter, the fundamental governing power of the City.
- Historical Commission - acts as an advisory board to the City Council in matters relating to the preservation of buildings, lands, areas or districts, which possess historical or architectural significance, and which will promote the educational, cultural, and general welfare of the City of Coon Rapids.
- Safety Commission - serves as an advisory board to the City Council on matters related to public safety.
- Sustainability Commission - researches ideas for sustainable living, reviews current City practices and focuses on issues that impact energy and water use, building materials, waste management and recycling.
Please fill out the Commission Application (PDF) and return to City Hall. Learn more about Boards, Commissions and Committees.